The University of Massachusetts Boston is currently inviting applications for its PhD in Business Administration, Organizations and Social Change (OSC) track for Fall 2021. The deadline is February 1, 2021 but we are evaluating applications on a rolling basis.
The Organizations and Social Change PhD program has a strong reputation for its distinctive focus on topics at the intersection of business and society. Our PhD students come from varied backgrounds, with degrees in management, sociology, economics, and political science.
We are seeking outstanding applicants who are interested in researching business and society interactions from a variety of theoretical perspectives to address topics such as:
- How companies, communities, and industries are responding to climate change and other sustainability challenges
- New trends in the workplace relating to diversity, inequality, technology, and employee engagement
- How social entrepreneurs and innovative organizations are trying to make positive change and balance the tensions between social and commercial goals
- The role of arts and culture in social movements, regional economic development, and globalization
- How new technologies and business models are transforming work patterns in the United States and redefining social divides in the Global South,
Graduates of our program have published in highly regarded academic journals and found academic positions at institutions in North America and Europe. Some are working in the non-profit and consulting world. One recent graduate, now an Assistant Professor at the University of San Diego, studied how the City of Boston perceives and responds to the risks of climate change. Another, now an Assistant Professor of Public Affairs at Ohio State University, studies and teaches about how nonprofit organizations can serve as a mechanism for social change.
Most successful applicants have a Master’s degree. Prior research experience (e.g. data analysis, literature reviews, academic writing) is highly regarded. Support of $25,000 per year is available for up to four years for admitted students who remain in good standing.
If you have specific questions, please contact me firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the program.
More details: https://tinyurl.com/OSC-PhD-UMB