At Tilburg University we invite applications for a PhD position (4 years, full time) for a multidisciplinary research project on digital outsourced labor platforms and the implications for workers in the Global South.
The multidisciplinary PhD project is a collaboration between the Departments of Organization Studies , Human Resource Studies and Social Psychology at Tilburg School of Social and Behavioral Sciences. It also involves academic partners in South Africa (North-West University) and Ethiopia (School of Commerce, Addis Ababa University).
The PhD candidate will be employed by Tilburg University, which is among the top of the Dutch employers and has an excellent policy concerning terms of employment.
Application closing date: September 5, 2021 .
Preferred starting date: December 1st, 2021 .
- A (Research) Master’s degree in organization studies, business administration, international business, global management of social issues, human resource studies, social psychology, work & organizational psychology or another related field with direct relevance for the project
- Academic excellence, as demonstrated by grade transcripts and CV
- Excellent qualitative and/or quantitative research skills and data analytical abilities
- A strong interest in the social implications of digital technologies
- Affinity with or strong interest in the Global South and eagerness to conduct fieldwork and dissemination activities in Africa
- Interest for interdisciplinary work combining the perspectives of organization studies, human resource studies and social psychology
- Enthusiastic, independent, proactive, with a positive learning attitude, strong motivation and ambition for research excellence
- Good communication skills and team spirit
- Interest in conducting teaching tasks (20% of the total time)
- Excellent command of English and academic writing skills (Dutch or French are a plus but not necessary)
Full details about the position and the application are available here: https://tiu.nu/18081
Please feel free to share the job ad with anyone potentially interested and do not hesitate to contact me (Francesca Ciulli, email@example.com) for questions about the job position.
About Tilburg University, the School and the Departments
Tilburg University is one of Europe’s leading universities in Social and Behavioral Sciences. According to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021, Tilburg University is #37 worldwide, #10 in Europe, and #1 in the Netherlands in the subject of Business & Economics. Tilburg is located in the Southern part of the Netherlands, at a 1h to 1.5h traveling distance from Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and Utrecht, close to Europe’s foremost high-tech regions (Brabant South-East) and equidistant from Brussels (Belgium) and the Aachen/Cologne area (Germany).
Tilburg School of Social and Behavioral Sciences (TSB) comprises unique multidisciplinary research areas and research groups which take social issues as a starting point. It excels in multidisciplinary research in the area of Health, Well-Being and Adaptiveness Studies. TSB has an open and diversified culture of excellence which is based on trust, connection, inclusivity, and joint responsibility for the University as a whole.
The Department of Organization Studies focuses on examining the adaptiveness of organizations from a relational perspective. Its research concentrates on the interaction of organizations with their institutional environment and with other organization within networks, and within and between organizations and organizational teams. The department’s research program is part of TSB’s Herbert Simon Research Institute and its cross-cutting and multidisciplinary research theme ‘Adaptive Societies, Organizations, and Workers’. The department has a very strong research orientation with a focus on high-quality publications in leading journals in the fields of organization and management (e.g. Strategic Management Journal, Academy of Management Journal, Organization Science, Research Policy and Journal of Management). Further information about the department and its staff is available at: https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/about/schools/socialsciences/organization/departments/organization-studies
The Department of Human Resource Studies is a well-established department with a strong reputation in academia. The department is well-known for its expertise in taking a balanced approach to strategic HRM (focusing on well-being, development and performance), strengths-based and lifespan approaches to HRM, and inclusive HRM. Further information about the department and its staff is available at: https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/about/schools/socialsciences/organization/departments/human-resource-studies
The Department of Social Psychology is widely known for high-quality education and research in the domains of social (social cognition, interpersonal relations, interactions between and within groups), economic (economic decision making and psychological processes underlying it) and work and organizational psychology (performance, social relationships and well-being at work). Further information about the department and its staff is available at: https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/about/schools/socialsciences/organization/departments/social-psychology
Tilburg, The Netherlands